Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Big Time College Football: Valid Comparisons

As I work on my fall/winter research project I am struck by a sentence on the Equity in Athletics Data Analysis Cutting Tool, published by the US Department of Education.

“Please note that valid comparisons of athletics data are possible only with study and analysis of the conditions affecting each institution.”

To me, this is a cop-out. Colleges and universities often say things like this referring to their unique place within the social fabric and that comparisons, unless to very similar institutions, are impossible. This uniqueness is often applied to athletics, departments within the institution, programs of study, enrollment numbers, the size of endowments, et cetera.

First of all I love higher education and I love college football. Ever since I can remember I watched college football (go UTEP Miners!) with my father and as an adult, I have worked exclusively in higher education (minus a parallel stint in retail). Because of shrinking budgets and the numerous cuts that have occurred and will occur at most institutions around the country, skyrocketing football (and basketball) revenues will be under intense scrutiny for the foreseeable future.

There needs to be an honest and frank discussion about big time football in this country because if the NCAA and the schools that populate this organization, especially the BCS do not start talking, others will and if it goes on long enough with no results, the government will get involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment