Monday, January 27, 2014

Advice for Getting a Job in the Real-World

Excellent advice! Recently in an advice column at The Chronicle, L. Maren Wood offered some good tips to Ph.D’s searching for non-academic jobs. All of her advice is spot on and in my opinion and very practical.


First, I will echo what Ms. Woods states right off the bat; it is difficult to get a job no matter what your degrees and experiences. Unless you are in health care, getting a job, especially when it is unplanned or unexpected, takes time and patience. The time it takes and the persistence needed to get a job is often an unexpected reality for academics looking to land a non-academic job.


Next, it can be extremely difficult for academics transitioning to non-academic jobs. Usually during this time there a great deal of angst, pain, anger, self-loathing, with a sprinkle of defeat. All of these emotions are completely legitimate because when academics leave academia they are leaving a place and a plan that had been been in place usually since age 18. But once the decision is made, each individual has to take off their academic garment and put on the business casual of the real-world. (I am using the term real-world in jest; often, academics are weary of the real-world because they have not fully experienced it.)


Back to the article; numbers two, three, and five all come down to learning how to sell yourself. Speaking in generalities, academics are not good at selling themselves; they usually think their research, CV, and writing should stand alone. But the reality is that when you are outside academia you have to learn how to talk about yourself in a positive and easy to understand manner. Unfortunately, some hiring managers view academics as egotists that are out of touch so be weary of how you come off and learn how to present your skills, abilities, and competencies to non-academics.


One of the most important skills that an academic can contribute is their ability to critically think. Being able to critically think is one of the strongest bargaining chips a Ph.D. has especially when selling it as an individual and team strength (the ability and desire to cooperatively work in teams). Along with selling abilities you must know how to sell ‘you’. The experience that you bring to the table as an academic is truly unique and when you allow you to be you, along with a good deal of confidence, you will have the best chance of getting that non-academic job.


Finally number seven. I think this is one of the most difficult aspects of non-academic jobs for academics; everything takes time. In whatever organization you end up at it takes time to learn the culture, to expand your network, to build your personal brand, and to impress the ‘right’ people. Some will care about your doctorate, some will not, but it takes years to move up in any organization.


Comments on the Comments:
I have to comment on some of the comments at the end of the article.


Doctor
A doctorate, to my understanding, is an academic title suitable for an academic or equivalent settings. In my world the only time I introduce myself as Dr. is when I formally start a one of my team meeting or when I teach.


Do I introduce myself as Dr. when I have meetings with other departments? No. Do I introduce myself as Dr. when I call someone in the organization? No. Do I require all my students to call me Dr.? No.


The only time I use the title doctor is when the situation requires it, which is rare. I do not omit my credential because I am ashamed, I omit the title because I know the culture of my organization, which is casual, and my boss emphasises performance outcomes no matter what your title (no free rides because of your degrees). You have to know your audience and be aware of when you can and should not use your academic title in non-academic settings.


Bosses without Doctorates
Many bosses in non-academic settings do not have doctorates; this is obvious. If you present yourself in an easy to understand, open, and friendly manner no boss will ever be threatened by you and if they are, do you really want to work for this person?

No comments:

Post a Comment