Friday, May 30, 2014

Song/Week: “Portrait of Someone,” by Daniela Andrade

I found the perfect musician with Daniela Andrade. Having first started on YouTube six-years ago she has recorded countless videos of covers and originals and has an enormous amount of talent for such a young woman. She sings, plays the guitar, provides rhythmic support when needed, and collaborates well with others.


I only ‘found’ Daniela Andrade a few months ago and at first I thought she had not found her ‘sound’ but the more I listed to her music the more I realized that she had found her sound somewhere in 2012. The quality of the songs starting in 2012 increased dramatically and it is not just because her recording technology improved; she also found her ideal range, created solid arrangements on the guitar, chose really good songs to cover, wrote some excellent originals, and matured as a musician.


Recently, my son and I have been watching Ratatouille; a delightful movie with a special message. My favorite quote is at the end of the movie when Anton Ego is critiquing Remy’s cooking:
“In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto, ‘Anyone can cook.’ But I realize only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere.”

I apply this to Daniela Andrade; great artists can truly come from anywhere. Thank you Edmonton and thank you Honduras for giving us such a special talent!





No comments:

Post a Comment