Monday, May 12, 2014

Song/Week: “Somebody That I Used to Know,” Pentatonix (Gotye cover)

So I like the original by Gotye but my favorite thing about that version is really Kimbra. For me, the Pentatnoix cover brings out all of the best aspects of this song; good melodic line, interesting harmonies, and a sad story. I never watched any of the seasons of The Sing Off on NBC of which Pentatonix won the third season and I discovered the band watching Sesame Street with my son and the song “Pentatonix Counts (and Sings) to Five.”


With “Somebody That I Used to Know” along with other songs like “Say Something”, “Valentine”, “Run to You”, and “Aha!” the group has really found their sound. Each singer is versatile, talented, and special props to Avi Kaplan who sings bass and Kevin Olusola who is the rhythm section and plays the cello at times.

Great group and I am hoping for more ingenious covers in the future!





No comments:

Post a Comment